I haven't been atlasing much the past couple of months and have never done any cards for Johannesburg before so while I was there working with my friend Jane, I joined the Wits Bird Club, my old friends, for a morning of birding at Segwati Reserve in the Magaliesberg. Lia Steen, one of the best birders I know, came to fetch me and she lead the group. It's always an absolute pleasure to bird with Lia as she has such a keen ear and instinct, having tons of experience birding all over the world. I was lucky enough to pick up 2 lifers on this trip, a Brubru and a Mocking Cliff-chat!
| Mocking Cliff-chat |
We walked around the buildings and found lots of nice birds. It always seems that birds love to be close to humans, as we often find the biggest density and variety close to us. Even this Spotted Thick-knee which tried hard not to be found, was seen close by.
| Spotted Thick-knee trying hard not to be spotted |
Lapwings are usually seen but I don't see Wattled Lapwings often so this was a special bird for me.
| Wattled Lapwing |
| Southern Black Flycatcher |
| Ground Scraper Thrush |
Here's another one I don't get at home. Love birding in the north!
The ranch has quite a few large mammals but my favourite is always these lanky beauties.
Being a summer-rainfall area and this was the beginning of spring, the whole area is extremely dry and dead but here and there, these tiny little blooms were pushing up through the dry grass. Lia says it is either Moraea thomsoni (Bloutulp) or Gynandriris simulans (Vleibloutulp) in the iris family.
Someone on the ranch obviously enjoys tree carving... quite a cheeky little lady hugging a tree here.
| Our little group: L-R - two new members (sorry can't remember their names), Murray, Werner, Me and Lia. |
Was a super fun day and I hope to do it again soon when I am in Joburg. Thanks Lia!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for reading my blog. I would love to know who visits so please could you leave a comment below with your name. Thank you.