There were significantly less birds around on this occasion and it could be because of the dryness or perhaps because the weather was much improved from our last visit and the neighbouring Witteberge did not have a constant bank of cloud above it which would allow raptors to feed there more easily than last time when it was covered in cloud most of the time.
We visited the Verreaux's Eagle nest again and found the chick now nicely grown up and almost ready to fledge. Thanks for the pic Brian.
This was the same eagle chick last time we were here, with mommy in attendance. Fantastic to see the difference in a few weeks.
Martial Eagles were spotted twice, quite a few Rock Kestrels were seen.
A few Black Harriers, a Booted Eagle and a Jackal Buzzard were also recorded. But in the grand scheme of things, there were not many about over the 10 days we did monitoring.
So, due to the lack of birds on the mountain tops, I had a chance to look at the beautiful tiny little Karoo Blooms that had sprung up everywhere. Here are a few.
| Last time we were here these were just little leaves flat on the ground. This is the first time I have seen their blooms. |
I also spotted the odd mammal and reptile on our drives or walks.
| Cape Grysbok |
| Ground Agama (female) |
| Karoo Tented Tortoise |
And there were a few birds that sat still long enough to have their portraits taken.
| Sickle-wing Chat |
| Rock Martins |
| The Verreaux's Eagle near the nest with the chick |
| Three-banded Plover at one of the few dams that had water in it |
| Ever watchful Brian spotted this Three-banded Plover nest, just a scraping in the ground between the rocks |
Lastly, I was having quite a bit of fun with the many insects that buzzed and scattered around me as I sat on my lonely rock.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for reading my blog. I would love to know who visits so please could you leave a comment below with your name. Thank you.