Year three of my National Diploma in Nature Conservation is proving to be very challenging with 4 very big assignments due before July. The first one is due at the end of May and is for my Animal Studies module. I have to observe any social terrestrial mammal population for 30 hours, noting their behaviour at regular interval and then writing a scientific report about it all. Easy Peasy.... NOT!
I chose the Eland (Taurotragus oryx oryx) population of the Postberg area of the West Coast National Park because, well because I love Eland, first of all. Secondly, the park is relatively close to home and they are easy to see and follow in the Postberg Area.
The first two days have been interesting. I have found 4 different herds and spent time with each of them, although herd 3 moved away into thick vegetation very quickly after I parked. I think it was because they had quite a young calf with them and were weary of my presence.
I found them very close to the entrance gate. They weren't there this morning but were when I left this afternoon so tomorrow I will go back and see if they are there later in the day.
This is Herd 2 and once again, we have a concern. The old bull on the far right looks quite emaciated.
His ribs, spine and hip bones were very prominent and he was limping. One of the younger animals was prodding him in the rump each time they wanted to move on to another area. This is a bachelor herd and all four are males.
This is Herd 3 with 7 individuals, some males and some females. One of the smaller animals was limping in this herd and didn't follow the rest up the steepish slope at the top of this plain.
Other than Eland, there are a number of other mammals around, often in the same place as the Eland and with no animosity between them at all.
Gemsbok (Oryx gazella) with a weirdly bent horn.
Beautiful Mountain Zebra (Equus zebra zebra).
But my favourite animal that I have found in the park so far has to be this beautiful caracal (Caracal caracal) and her baby. I have seen her on both mornings when entering the park, not far from the front gate and also yesterday afternoon when I left. Very excited to see the young one today.
Plenty of bird life in the park including a pair of Black Harriers and a pair of African Marsh Harriers. Other birds keeping me company are...
| Karoo Prinia |
| Large-billed Lark |
| Southern Black Korhaan |
There was also a little creature hiding in a bush that hardly let me see him at all. I assume it is some kind of mouse.
Eland tracks are interesting because the hind hooves (85mm) are much smaller than the front hooves (100mm).
And here are the droppings.... just coz I know you wanna see it!!
Tomorrow is day 3 and hopefully we will see some action in the otherwise quite sedate Eland herds. I'll keep you posted.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for reading my blog. I would love to know who visits so please could you leave a comment below with your name. Thank you.