Every since we have been in Franschhoek, we have been monitoring the African Fish-eagles in the large nest at the Berg River Dam wetland. And every year, they arrive and breed. For some reason, it appears that "our" Fish-eagles breed late. I remember two years ago, they juvenile was still on the nest in December which indicates that the pair only started breeding in August which is the latest they are known to do so in South Africa. Most start to breed from May to June.
Every winter I start checking the nest and wait with bated breath to see if they will return. And this year, I saw one bird on the nest on Tuesday the 15th of July.
While I was there, a flock of Spur-wing Geese flew very close to the nest tree and the eagle moved from the nest to the branch. This is the very same branch I witnessed the pair mating on two years ago. Last year I was very busy with work and wasn't able to monitor the nest very much. This year, although work is still keeping me very busy, I will make a concerted effort to keep a better track of what is happening.
This nest has been used for many many year, some reports say at least 20 years. We first started monitoring it in 2009 and it has been used every year since then.
I will have a look for older photographs and add them to this blog during the week.
Here's to the eagle pair .... let's hope they are successful and we can celebrate a new hatchling or two shortly.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for reading my blog. I would love to know who visits so please could you leave a comment below with your name. Thank you.