Wednesday, 3 July 2013

Meeting of the giants

Of course the one essential thing to do when going to Cape Agulhas is to visit the spot which is regarded as being where the two giant oceans meet, the Atlantic from the west and the Indian from the east and which therefore represents the southernmost tip of Africa.


Many people mistakenly think that the tip of Africa is at Cape Point on the Cape Penninsula but that is not so.  


And if you were in any doubt as to where you were, there is a convenient plaque to help you find your way.


I have now been to the two opposing sides of Africa, having lived in Port Said in Egypt for two years which is diagonally opposite to Cape Town, being at the top right hand corner of Africa. It is strictly speaking not the northern most tip of Africa (which I think is in Morocco) but it is as north as I have been.  Port Said is where the Suez Canal meets the Med and is on the eastern edge of Africa.  If you cross over the Suez Canal to a suburb of Port Said called Port Fou'ad, you are essentially no longer in Africa.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog. I would love to know who visits so please could you leave a comment below with your name. Thank you.